I spent my last two and half weeks in Varanasi...I had planned to leave earlier but for some reason Shiva did not want me to go. Varanasi is complete Yin and Yang-there are so many reasons to go but there are so many reasons to stay; I'm glad I stayed.
I saw many temples, one of which is the Golden Temple. Upon entering the area I had to go through a metal detector and questioning of the police, of course, only after locking up your valubles because you cant take anything in with you. You then walk down busy a narrow street with vendors selling anything from puja (flowers, milk, sweets) to everyday provisions. Next, I was encouraged to buy offerings for the gods for a hefty tourist price, but lucky me had my Indian friend, Rabi, to advise me, and the guy selling puja, that a large price was not necessary...thank you Rabi! (I have spent so many rupees on blessings....).
Then to the office-like setting where I was submitted to more interrogation by the police where they asked to see my passport, get many addresses (canada, varanasi, base of India) and have a general conversation that was intermittently interupted by friends and other police....all I wanted to do was go see the temple; too much to ask I guess. Once dismissed I had to go through another metal detector that was surrounded by another 8 or so police, but finally I got in. I have to say though, what a cluster fuck! Imagine, me, 100 other Indians, its loud! busy! crowded! I was pushed to the statue of the God (Shiva?) for a brief viewing, then another push to give my offering, then another push to the small area in the back of the temple and then before I knew it my time in the temple was over. I barely had enough time to take in the 500 year old, intricately carved marble structure...but hey, I did get to go to the famous Golden Temple. It was an intense experience.
Much time was spent at and near the main burning ghat during my last week drinking chai, going for boat rides and hanging out with my new friend. I met his family, who were so generous to me. They cooked me dinner one night, dressed me up in a sari another day, did some henna on my hand and foot, and took care of me when I became sick.
Oh yeah, my last day in India (of all the days!) I got the DB, felt achy, head hurt, no energy...Rabi got me to a doctor and helped to get me better (bless his soul).
I ate many yummy dosa, drank the best lassie (served in a small terra cotta pot), and saw a couple hindi movies at the theatre. The second theatre we went to I was searched by security and they took my water bottle away (go figure).
Then finally and unfortunatly I had to start my journey home. 27 hour train ride to Mumbai, which actually turned out to be 32 hours, 9 hours to London, 10 hours in London (airport, blah!), 9 hours to Vancouver, and finally in Canada.
Its so quite here my ears are still humming from the last three months of noise.
I am going to miss India very much. Everywhere you go there are wonderful people to meet, yummy food to eat, and fantastic sights to see. I have made some amazing friends who I plan to go back and visit, so yes, I will definitly be going back!
Tuesday, May 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment