Friday, April 13, 2007

Holiest of Holies....


I arrived in Pushkar on the evening of the full moon and I cannot find the words to describe how much I enjoyed my time there...I think I had perma smile the whole time! I met so many wonderful people...people I can truly call friends. I made friends with a jewellerer and had supper with his lovely wife and very smart children. His 4 1/2 year old son can add and subtract the triple digits and his daughter is an artist.
Spent 600 rupees ($18 :( ) blessing my family and friends (you all have to have a candy when I get back to complete the blessing), but at least I got to do it at (apparently) the only Brahma temple in India-very famous. Gypsy girls tried to take me for money too but I was clever...
Vendors sell fresh squeezed orange juice, and animals are every where; cows, monkeys, pigs, camels (very cool creatures), dogs....
Played drums by the lake one night during sunset...a magical place to be. I am definely going back there.
Next on to Agra for one day. Thank the Gods and Godesses for that! Agra is a shithole and its like they have never seen a white person before. I had lewd facial gestures and stares, and the touts and rickshaw drivers don't let up. Its the only place I have been truly frusterated in...I think I actually told someone to F*** off. The Taj Mahal was beautiful, fantastic, breathtaking, and very expensive. Inside there is fantastic marble screening and all the inlay in done with semiprecious stones....
Now I am in Varanasi. Crazy! My time here has not been too shit hot. First hotel was crap so I moved to another, I been feeling sick, and I lost my change purse that only had a few rupees but had a new pendant and set of earrings. Took a dissappointing boat ride at sunrise and saw laundry washed, puja offerings, humans peeing, bathing, praying....
It's very hot too! Afternoons are spent beating the heat under a fan...I really should splurge on A/C but I am cheap and running out of cash....Evenings on the terrace are relief from the heat as the wind is nice and cool.
Went to a silk factory and in the end of my visit a fellow pulled out many silk products for me to see...and buy of course :)....so many vibrant, beautiful colors and details...oh if I was rich!
Saw the burning ghats....its bizarre, I thought the dead would have an effect on me but they didn't...
Got my self a good old fashioned film camera so at least I'll have something to look back on...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Namaste Jessica,

I enjoyed your reading your posts of India. So happy to learn you are experiencing the real India, which includes the good, the, bad, the ugly and the sureal. Your Varanasi experience didn't sound too great, which by contrast was one of my favorite places to hang. I also got sick there. Did you contact Raj the Guide?? Reading your stories makes me want to return to this unreal country. I miss India. See you back in the Horse. Kev