Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Beach bum I have become...


My welcome to India was the worst of the worst...In Mumbai I saw, smelled, and felt the filth and got ripped off by the hotel manager...I had an adversarial moment to get a new room as the first one lacked a screen on the vent which led directly outside; the newspaper flapping in the breeze was a pathetic attempt to block the outside...my night consisted of missing home, second guessing my decision to come here, and listening to the planes fly over aalllll night. At least my new room had an airconditioner and I got to wash my hair...in the sink!
However, once getting here to Varkala things did a mighty change. Since getting here I have become a beach bum... I wake in the morning and enjoy the cool air on the hammock outside...go eat breakfast on the cliffs (that place in the distance) where they do serve coffee, its actually more like a latte :)....after breakfast, around 9:30-10 I head for the beach (this place where I've taken the picture) where I soak up the sun and swim in the ocean til about 2, when I then toddle off to one of the beachside restaurants for a refreshing Lemon soda and a snack...wander back to my room for a rest and get ready to head back to the cliffs for supper. There Kat and I watch the sun set and casually chat til mid evening...after dark you can see a line of lights from the fishing boats...its like a string of stars...Its a hard life!

Yesterday I went to a place called Golden Temple Island...there were three small, colorful Hindu temples on the middle of the Island....very beautiful and peaceful...there were 6 people worshipping; it was amazing the devotion that exuded thier being...after the island I went to see some women making coir, its the rope used for fishing and just about anything else...for 11 hours a day these ladies work and take home only 65 rupees (1.50 CAD) at the end of the day...

The food here is fantastic and I have not yet been sick...probably cause I'm in a bit of a tourist trap....

3 comments:

Moninsp said...

Hey Jessica:
We're all jealous even though it isn't that cold here. Being a bum is what vacations are all about. I'm sure you're thinking about the office... I wanted to discuss a particular file...ha ha, but we do miss you.
Take care and I look forward to more of your postings

b said...

Sounds great! I was wondering why it was taking you so long to do your first update. I was so excited about my trip I think my first update was at the Vancouver airport haha jk... Anyways, I'm glad the beach is beautiful. I look forward to more pictures!!

b said...

oh, I wlso wanted to post you on my blog as a link. I hope that's ok.