Tuesday, February 20, 2007

not sure...

Last friday we rented a motorbike and cruised the surrounding area of Varkala...went to another deserted beach and had breakfast, and came across a small deserted Hindu temple where workers were making the sculptures of the gods...pretty honourable task if you ask me...we attracted a crowd of women and children who were watching us as we watched the workers....after that we found the local ashram. Very peaceful and beautiful. A little boy followed me around the building of the ashram and sat very near when I decided to sit. He followed pretty close, which is pretty gutsy for the kids around here, and when i said hello he got very shy and hid his face in his friend...he was very cute! He knew a little english so we spoke a few words, he made me laugh and still makes me smile as i type this...a couple of young girls also came and sat. They knew english so I was able to converse witht them...I think my visit to the ashram was my favorite so far...
I am now in Kanyakumari-its on the very south tip of India. There are many pilgrims here as the three oceans (Indian, Bay of Bengal, and Arabian) meeting have spiritual significance.
Today I went a saw a huge statue of a famous Indian poet and a memorial of a guy who came to the island to meditate for some days...the memorial had beautiful intricate carvings on the columns inside. I spoke with many Indians today...most wanted a picture with me too...funny eh, I come here to see them and they take pictures of me...one woman just grabbed me for a picture...what an experience this place is-filthy, hospitable, chaotic, and beautiful. STill no problems with the food, YAY! Outside my hotel room is a kind of alley way. I get to see everyday Indian life there; kids playing, cows wandering, women filling water jugs. I also get a great view of a tall, sand coloured Catholic Church and the ocean. Its pretty windy here to, helps keep you cool.
Tomorrow back to Varkala...so far my Indian paradise.

No comments: